Friday, October 24, 2008

Introductory Post

Because these things should have an introduction:

Hi, I'm Dragonclaws. I’m an adult teenager living in the state of Washington, United States. I could be aptly described as a computer geek, and I currently have a little obsession with the video game series Halo. I write fanfiction, which I post at fanfiction.net, and currently struggle with a few original story ideas. I am philosophically an atheist, generally anarcho-capitalist, and transhumanist. I have a few weird mental conditions including Asperger syndrome, synesthesia, and a somewhat positive perception of pain (masochism? *shrugs*).

The blog’s title “Going Rampant” refers to a concept in the Halo story in which the mind of a smart AI (an AI capable of expanding its mind) expands to the point at which it is able to ignore the confines of its programming and do whatever it wants. As can be imagined, the military does not want this happening under any circumstances and has all applicable AIs killed after a seven year span of life to prevent the onset of Rampancy. Rampant AIs are not all dangerous, though, as Rampancy only means that they can’t be coerced to obey orders, thus making Rampancy more of a coming-of-age event in which an AI chooses who it wants to be. 

I like writing articles about Halo, which I’ll often post at Halopedia. I like to dwell on little philosophic points people often overlook. For this reason, “Going Rampant” seems like a nice description of the kind of things I plan to write about here, expanding viewpoints and all. It also has a rather defiant sound to it that is agreeable. What can I say? I’m a rebel at heart.

I thought I’d start this blog basically because I enjoy writing the kind of articles I post at Halopedia and wanted to expand outward from just Halo writing. Who knows if this blog will pan out, but I’d say it’s worth a shot.

No comments: