Saturday, June 16, 2012

"How to Fry an Egg on Your Enemy's Head" - Harry Potter Fanfic Review

"How to Fry an Egg on Your Enemy's Head" by The Marauders Minus Two, posted June 19th, 2001, is a short Harry Potter fanfic about the Marauders trying to fry an egg on Snape's head. It's as silly as it sounds. I remember that I used to crack up every time I read it, but my enjoyment was lessened this time with my full knowledge of Snape's backstory.


The characters are flat, but they don't really need to be deep. It's just the Marauders joking amongst each other as they try to pull off a prank on Snape. Maybe it's just because they're British, but they remind me of the Beatles, or at least as people think of them. They are a believable group of friends just goofing off all the time.

The main appeal of the plot is catharsis. We take shadenfreud delight in their pranking Snape. This functioned much better in 2001, when the last book to come out was Goblet of Fire. Snape was still just the jackass teacher who was a jackass teenager. I think Deathly Hallows makes Snape significantly more sympathetic and the Marauders' actions worse. So, while "How to Fry an Egg" achieves its purpose of being a light, humorous fic, its impact is not nearly what it was before the release of Deathly Hallows.

No comments: